Office of Facilities, Property and Safety Management (OFPSM)
The office is responsible for the management and administration of Indian Affairs facilities management and construction, environmental management, safety and risk management, and cultural resources management programs.
Bureau-Funded Schools: New School Replacement Program
For Fiscal Year (FY) 2016, the National Review Committee identified the ten schools listed below and invited those schools to present at a public meeting in February 2016, in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Blackwater Community School
- Chichiltah-Jones Ranch Community School
- Crystal Boarding School
- Dzilth-Na-O-Dith-Hle Community School
- Greasewood Springs Community School
- Laguna Elementary School
- Lukachukai Community School
- Quileute Tribal School
- T’iis Nazbas Community School
- Tonalea Redlake Elementary School
Download the list in PDF format here:
Press Release: Acting Assistant Secretary Roberts Announces Bureau of Indian Education School Replacement Program Selections - April 5, 2016
The No Child Left Behind School Facilities and Construction Negotiated Rule-Making Committee established the process and criteria for determining how to select which schools are prioritized for replacement. The criteria can be viewed at pages 37-41 of the Committee’s Report, available here: Broken Promises, Broken Schools: -pdf
Under that process, the National Review Committee (a committee of educators, facility experts and Indian Affairs Office of Facilities, Property and Safety Management staff) reviews schools’ applications under the criteria identified in the report, ranks the top 10 projects, and invites those 10 schools to present at a public hearing to make their case for funding and answer questions.
- An example of a letter inviting a school to the hearing is available here.
- An example of a letter notifying a school that they were not among the top 10 projects is available here.
For Fiscal Year (FY) 2016, the National Review Committee identified the 10 schools listed below and invited those schools to a present at a public hearing. The public hearing was held in February 2016, in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The transcript and presentations of each of the 10 schools are provided here:
Blackwater Community School
Chichiltah-Jones Ranch Community School
Crystal Boarding School
Dzilth-Na-O-Dith-Hle Community School
Greasewood Springs Community School
Laguna Elementary School
Lukachukai Community School
Quileute Tribal School
T’iis Nazbas Community School
Tonalea Redlake Elementary School
Indian Affairs, OFMC - No Child Left Behind (NCLB)
BIA School Facilities Design and Space Guidelines
New Justice and Detention Facilities Design and Space Guidelines
2013 Program Policies and Procedures
- Emergency Program Policies & Procedures
- Fire Program Policies & Procedures
- MI&R Program Policies & Procedures
- Demolition & Space Reduction Policies & Procedures
- Emergency Program - Attachment A - Checklist
- Sample MI&R Backlog Prioritization