8:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M. CST
| || |
Telephone: (605) 747-2224
Telephone: (605) 747-2381
Trust Land Base: 884,874 acres
Estimated Tribal Enrollment: 24,217 members
The Rosebud Agency Headquarters is located in Rosebud, South Dakota and services the Rosebud Sioux Tribe. Due to lack of adequate facilities, the Agency functions at two locations; Rosebud and Mission, South Dakota. Mission is approximately 12 miles east of Rosebud. The total square footage of our facilities is 242,686 (83,892 in Rosebud and 158,794 in Mission). The Agency staff consists of 52 FTE with five vacancies. The original boundaries (and serving area) of the Rosebud Sioux Reservation include the counties of Todd, Mellette, Tripp, Gregory and part of Lyman in south central South Dakota which consists of 3.2 million acres of which there are approximately 884,874 acres held in trust which represents 15% of the Great Plains Region. The total service population of the reservation is approximately 24,217. The reservation has a potential labor force of 16,177 and has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country of approximately 83%.
The Rosebud Agency has and continues to improve the quality of services provided to the Rosebud Sioux Tribe and its members by continually assessing and developing innovative ways of maximizing our human capital and performance. Although our FTE and funding does not address the Agency in terms of need, we have taken great strides in providing optimum services with existing staff and budget constraints. This effort includes staff development and training, cross training of staff, and collaboration and coordination with the Rosebud Sioux Tribe.
Critical Activities/Services Provided to Tribe:
Trust Services: The Division of Trust Services consists of Natural Resources, Probate and Estate Services, Real Estate Services and Fire Management. Current trust land base acreage is 883,874.
- The Rosebud Sioux Tribe continues to prepare their IRMP.
- The Tribe’s Environmental Similarity Site Index Survey has been completed on 182 Range Units and work is started on the Farm & Pasture leases.
- On-going efforts have been made to comply with the Negotiated Consent Agreement for the continued operation of the Pork Production Facilities was approved in 2005; to date, Sun Prairie has not complied with the terms of payments to either the Rosebud Sioux Tribe or the Bureau of Indian Affairs for current water usage or bi-annual rental payments.
- The Rosebud Sioux Tribe has begun construction of a tribally owned grocery store which entailed an extensive fee to trust process utilizing the Isolated Tracts Act.
- The Rosebud Sioux Tribe is also in the development phase of the Owl Bonnet Wind Farm with the construction of 30 KW towers, the first of this size in Indian Country.
- The Rosebud Sioux Tribe has a land purchase/consolidation program that has been in existence since 1953. This program allows individual tribal members to exchange their trust land and interests for certification which in turn can be redeemed for cash or TLE land assignments.
Indian Services: The Division of Indian Services consists of Tribal Operations, Self-Determination, Facilities Management, and Social Services.
- The Rosebud Agency has the full Delegated Authority for P.L. 93-638 contracts and an Awarding Official. The Agency currently administers and has monitoring responsibility over 27 active 93-638 programs with a total budget of $8,483,323.10 for FY-2008. The Agency has processed and approved 30 of the 37 modification requests submitted by the Tribe within the mandated 90 day time frame.
- The Agency remains committed to the Tribe in the continued efforts in partnering and collaboration with the Tribe, Tribal Organizations, and Tribal Programs in all aspects of Tribal government and P.L. 93-638 contracting. Considerable time and effort is put forth in assisting the Tribe in the efforts to exercise their rights under P.L. 93-638 in the provision of technical assistance in the development of Statements of Work, Memorandum of Agreements, Use Agreements, Budgets, Budget Justifications, and Contract Monitoring.
- Due to this partnership, the Agency has been successful in the negotiating GPRA, PART, and Motor Vehicle Policy requirements into all of the Rosebud Sioux Tribe’s P.L. 93-638 contracts. The Agency has also been successful in the negotiation of a 638 contract for Contract Support and Direct Contract Support Costs. The Agency has also been successful through collaboration with the Tribe in closing 11 contracts this year and is 100% compliant on the submission of financial status reports on their 638 funding.
- The Rosebud Agency continues to provide and improve services to those eligible participants of the Welfare Assistance programs.
- The Agency conducted a Secretarial Election on behalf of the Rosebud Sioux Tribe. This election proposed an unprecedented 27 amendments to the Rosebud Sioux Tribe’s Constitution and By-Laws. Of these, 23 were approved and four were denied by the eligible voters. The Agency continues to provide technical assistance to the Tribe in their efforts to implement and incorporate the approved amendments.
- The Agency facility management program is the most adversely impacted program due to budget constraint levels. The Agency operates at an average of 49.2% of our FY-2008 need in all programs. We continue to provide and repair services to the existing facilities and quarters at both locations with the seven staff for the Agency.